One of the most sought-after banking exams in the country is that of SBI PO. A Probationary Officer at SBI does not just command a lot of respect but also is entitled to several perks and allowances which make the job highly lucrative. Take a look at the work profile, benefits, and stress related to this high profile banking job.
The works profile of SBI Probationary Officers
The general work profile of SBI PO involves administrative tasks, banking, and other such tasks as bestowed upon the individual by the bank from time to time. The POs are given rigorous training to make them accustomed to the different facets of banking. The focus on training is high in SBI, and it has several training centers located all over the country. The following is a brief description of the job profile of a PO.
- There is two years’ probation period for the officers, and during this period they can be asked to carry out any kind of activity related to banking. You will be given either assistant or clerical type of jobs. The aim of getting you involved in such diverse kind of work is to get you acquainted with the various procedures of the bank.
- You will be trained in a variety of disciplines like accounting, finance, billing, marketing, and investment. This will be done by giving you job of different categories, and the goal here is to instill practical know-how in you.
- The role of a public relations officer is one of the prime responsibilities of a PO. The PO must address different customer issues and handle customer complaints. This can include matters like correction of excessive charges, rectification of discrepancies in accounts, and consideration of the complaints made about the services of the bank.
- Managerial tasks are also part of the job of an SBI PO, and in that capacity you will be responsible for making decisions for the betterment of the bank, supervising clerical work, and handling cash balance.
- SBI is a strict follower of the maker and checker system. In case of cash transactions, the clerks are the maker, and the PO is the checker. The responsibility of any loss resides with the checker, and hence, as a part of your work profile, you will have to verify the work of the clerks closely.
- A PO is expected to be aware of every latest development of the bank. They should read all the circulars issued by the management of the bank to know about the most recent decisions and initiatives.
- The job profile also includes the issue of Cheque books, demand drafts, and ATM cards.
- Once the Probationary Officer gains sufficient experience about the working procedures of the bank and gets familiar with the work environment, he/she is given more crucial task based on the level of aptitude and skills. These tasks can include investment management, loan processing and approval, marketing, budgeting, and planning.
You will be placed in any branch of the bank as Assistant Bank Manager after successfully completing your probationary period. There you will be handling works of daily customer transactions like cash management, draft issuance, passing cheques, and so on. All of the responsibilities you undertook during the probationary period will come to work hereafter.
The benefits of working as SBI Probationary Officer
The work of SBI PO entails a lot of responsibilities, but there are several benefits that come as part and parcel of the job. Here is a list of top nine benefits of working as a Probationary Officer.
- The Salary Structure: One of the lucrative parts of the job is the Salary structure that the Officer receives. The basic pay of a newly joined PO in SBI is higher than POs of other public sector banks as SBI offers additional increments from the initial stage. The employee is eligible for house rent allowance, dearness allowance, and special allowance on the basic pay.
- Contributory Provident Fund: The employees of SBI come under the Defined Contributory Provident Fund Scheme. Under this scheme, the bank contributes a certain percentage of the basic pay of an employee to his/her PF account.
- Lease Facility: The officers get lease accommodation in the places of their posting and in that case, the House Rent Allowance is not credited to them. The lease rental ceiling of SBI is higher than all public sector banks.
- Medical Benefits: The officers get full reimbursements for their treatments and seventy-five percent reimbursement for the treatment of a dependent family member. SBI has tie-ups with some of the best healthcare facilities in the country, and employees get cashless treatment in all these places.
- Interest Concessions: Employees of SBI are eligible to avail loan under staff scheme, and they get the car loans, house loans, etc. at concessional rates of interest. The percentage of interest for the deposits is also more for the employees than the general public.
The stress factor related to the job
Probationary Officers are future executives who will run the day to day workings of the bank. Thus, expectations of the bank and the clients are always high from them. Dealing with the workload might feel stressful at times, but this is not such stress that an individual cannot manage, given the fact that he/she has already cleared the three-step recruitment process and the Probationary period. The challenges are part of the job, but they are what makes the job so satisfying at the end of the day. The scope of career growth is high in SBI, and the bank also rewards the hard workers well.