Neurological disorder is any kind of diseases in any part of central and peripheral nervous system in human body. An individual with any neurological disorder faces several types of problems in their normal activities. Depending on the disease and affected parts occurrence and severity of the problems differ.
Affected Parts in Neurological Disorder
The entire central and peripheral nervous system, or simply speaking the brain, spinal cord, cranial nerves, peripheral nerves, nerve roots, neuromuscular junctions etc. are affected by neurological disorder. Since, it is not possible for normal human beings to detect affected or damaged parts and areas, the changes in activity, behavior, pains in different parts the body, loss of sensation, loss of memory etc. symbolizes neurological disorders.
Some Neurological Disorders
Human body is built with a complex network of 100 billion cells, so neurological disorders can occur in any part impairing normal functionality of that part. There are almost 600 recognized neurological disorders, some of these are relatively common, but many rare neurological disorders are also there. Some common neurological disorders are epilepsy, migraine, anoxia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other types of dementia etc.
Common Causes of Neurological Disorder
Causes of neurological disorders are quite diverse. Both the spinal cord and brain are insulated by many membranes that can be susceptible to internal force and pressure. The peripheral nerves which are mostly spread all over the body deep under the skin are also exposed to damage. Neurological disorders can affect an entire neurological pathway or a single neuron. With so many nerve cells scattered all over the body and linked with each other, even a small trouble to a neuron’s structural pathway lead to multiple types of disorder. Thus, neurological disorders can result from a number of causes, including the following –
- Environmental influences
- Physical injuries
- Nutrition-related causes
- Issues linked with lifestyle like addiction to drugs or alcoholism etc.
Diagnosis of Neurological Disorders
The following are the different types of neurological diagnosis procedures often undertaken as a part of treatment procedures –
- Imaging studies – Different types of imaging studies like MRI, CT scan, USG with Carotid Doppler etc. are important imaging studies. These studies help to point out actual affected areas and severity of a disease.
- Physiological studies – Studies with the help of EEG, ENG, and EMG etc. are quite useful for detecting damages in central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Neuropsychological testing – The neuropsychological testing includes components such as an interview of the patient with a clinician and paper-and-pencil tests in order to evaluate the patient’s attention, memory, language, reasoning, and learning etc.
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis – It is also called a lumbar puncture. In this test a needle is used to collect a small sample of fluid from the spinal canal in the lower back. This fluid is then sent to the laboratory for pathological studies.
Besides several other tests and studies including blood test, and biopsy may be required for understanding the problem precisely.
Treatment for Neurological disorders
Neurological-disorder treatment depends on the diagnosis and severity of the disease. In modern medical science numerous treatments are available for curing neurological disorders; however, there are many neurological diseases like different types of dementia including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease etc. for which any significant treatment procedures are not available.
From accidents, severe neurological disorders may occur. Thus, patients with accidental injuries, specially neck, back and head injuries should be given urgent medical care.
Many people as an extra precaution often call to popular health centers or hospitals asking where us urgent care near me They keep details of these urgent care centers for any medical emergence where instant treatment for neurological disorder can also be availed whenever required.