We spend a lot of time on our beds. We could spend countless hours in bed binge watching our favorite movies and TV shows. We also spend time on our bed while reading or talking to other people. There are a lot more things that we can do on our beds. Some people even choose to use theirs as a workspace.
Let’s not forget that we spend around a third of our lives sleeping in bed. Getting a good night of sleep is extremely important for anyone. This helps you feel more refreshed and energized when you wake up in the morning, allowing you to be more productive.
When we think about how comfortable beds are, one thing always comes to mind: the mattress. A recent survey revealed that 92 percent of people consider it as an important factor in sleep. However, not all mattresses are made equal. Some have better material and construction compared to others, making them more comfortable.
Because of this, it is important that you get the perfect mattress that suits your needs. Mattresses are quite a large investment, especially if it is your first time to buy one. You may be hesitant to spend top dollar on a mattress, but it will be worth it. Firstly, it will suit most, if not all your needs. Second, you will not need to replace it as often as a cheaper variant. If you really think about it, you save money in the long run.
Helps Reduce Pain and Discomfort
But, why should we splurge on a mattress? Is it wise to spend our hard-earned money on it? What exactly are the benefits of a good mattress to your health?
There are quite a lot of benefits associated with a good mattress.
- It helps reduce pain and discomfort while you sleep by relieving Pressure Points in the Body: This is a common problem for old and worn out mattresses. It is also seen in mattresses that are either too hard or too soft. If a mattress is just right, it will support the body’s pressure points. These are your neck, shoulders, hips, and back, among other body parts. If you get a good, appropriate mattress, you will be more comfortable in the long run.
- Firmer mattresses: This type of mattress is recommended for the heavy set sleeper. If you have packed on some pounds, you need a firmer mattress, so you will not simply sink into it. This will also distribute pressure equally across your body and keep your spine aligned properly.
- Softer mattresses: This type is perfect for lighter people. This is because they need less support when sleeping. Softer mattresses also have the added benefit of allowing air to circulate more easily.
- Reduces Snoring: If you have a bad mattress, you may just sink into it. This may be because the material inside has deteriorated or the springs have. If this does happen, it may become hard to breathe. This difficulty breathing is what causes snoring during sleep. This may keep you and your partner awake all night long, reducing your quality of sleep.
- Reduces Tossing and Turning: If you ever find yourself tossing and turning all night, it may be time to get a better mattress. Good mattresses hold you in place comfortably. This minimizes the so-called movement waves as we sleep. These waves are what make us feel uncomfortable during sleep.
Reduces Allergic Symptoms and Improves Immunity
Another benefit of having a good mattress is that it reduces allergens. Some people would not even suspect this. However, over time, our mattresses collect disgusting things like dust mites and dead skin cells. It may also collect saliva and sweat, among other things. These allergens then subsequently breed in our mattress. As a lot of these are on our mattresses, getting a new and better one has great health effects.
Some mattresses may even have hypoallergenic qualities. This reduces allergens and possible allergy symptoms from the get-go. These may be pricier, but the benefits in the long run far outweigh the price. If you’re looking for hypoallergenic mattresses, ask your salesperson, or better yet, research first before you buy.
A good mattress also has the benefit of improving your immune system. If you keep tossing and turning, you may lack sleep. This may negatively affect your immune system and make you susceptible to a variety of diseases.
Various Mental Health Benefits
Stress could also be relieved by using a good mattress. Sleeping on a comfortable bed with comfortable pillows and sheets is better than using old stuff. This is especially true if your old mattress did not even suit your needs in the first place.
One more surprising health benefit of a good mattress is an enriched memory. Sleeping on a good mattress gives us a good night’s sleep. This results in better brain health, which supposedly equates to better memory. If you have trouble remembering school lectures, for instance, try resting on a good mattress first.
Similar to the last benefit, a good mattress can also help enhance our attention. As our brains get more rest, there is a reduced tendency for hyperactivity and inattention. This is particularly helpful for children you get less than eight hours every single night. Sleeping on a better mattress helps adults and children reach the recommended eight hours of sleep.
Aside from these, a good mattress also reduces moodiness and even depression. A lack of sleep can trigger these problems. Get a new mattress to reduce the risks of these happening. Getting enough sleep and rest is an important factor to being in a better mood.
Helps You Lose Weight
Sleeping on a good mattress also supposedly helps us get leaner. This is because people who sleep better have an improved metabolism. They are less likely to gain extra weight and lose muscle mass. If you do not get enough sleep, you will also feel drowsy throughout the day. This may lead to you feeling quite hungry as well.
Good Mattresses Deserve Good Sheets
Getting good sheets and padding for your mattress is also important. These add to the inherent comfort your mattress provides. A combination of these things helps you get a better quality of sleep throughout the night.
Why Should We Get Better Mattresses?
Better mattresses translate to better productivity, better sleep quality, and better overall health. We know it’s easier to fall for cheaper mattresses. The lure of saving big bucks is too hard to resist. But is it worth sacrificing your sleep, your health, and your general well-being?
However, not all inexpensive mattresses are of poor quality. You’ll find a lot of good quality mattresses at a price you can easily afford. It would do you good to watch out for sales. Most mattress sellers offer discounts on their products during a particular season or sale period. Just be patient and who knows, you’ll eventually end up with the mattress of your dreams.
Hopefully, this will convince you to get a better mattress. If you do so, your overall health will significantly improve. And if you sleep with your partner, they will be thankful you did so as well. You’ll thank yourself sooner or later.