Do you have a vegetable garden at your house? If you have then it is prudent that you know about certain facts about fertilization so that you can get better fruits which are bigger in size and of the best quality.
There are various facts that need your concentration like how often you should fertilize, what are the best fertilizers that you can use and what should be the manner of providing such fertilizers. Let us have a look at such considerations.
The Tips That Would Help You to Fertilize Your Vegetable Garden Best
As told that there are various considerations that need to be kept in mind. There are many and from those, we have selected some to be discussed.
- Creating A Proper Mindset: We know that food is essential for being alive. But if you eat excess food then instead of having a healthy life you will be sick and have to have a frequent visitor to the doctors. Same is the case with plants that you have in your vegetable garden. If you give an excess of fertilizers you will not be having a healthy plant and healthy harvest. So, it is good to have a mindset that you must provide the required quantity of fertilizers and at times when required.
- Time You Should Fertilize Your Garden: During winter after you have taken out all the crops and the soil is soft you need to add slow-release fertilizers in the proportion 10-10-10, this is the percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium in the fertilizer. You need to cover the soil so that it remains aerated and have a steady supply of worms to decompose the fertilizers. During spring liquid fertilizers having the same proportion can be added. You can add a granular form of fertilizers also if you wish. Providing water is needed after fertilization.
During summer you must fertilize the soil every three to four weeks. This is needed as summer crops require more food than others. You must use slow-release fertilizers and add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt mixed with 1 gallon of water at the plant base. You also need to add magnesium as this material is not readily available in common fertilizers.
During the fall slow-release fertilizers should be added initially using Lime & Fertilizer Spreaders and then quick-release fertilizers can be used as plant growth reduces. You must keep in mind that fertilizers should not be done after the first frost.
- Add Compost Fertilizers: If you wish to have a healthy soil for your garden then you must ensure that you provide quantity food to the soil microbes that stay there. Compost is the best form of food that you can add. You can easily make your own compost by the help of things which are generally dumped in waste dumps. It adds plan nutrients along with helping in water retention.
- Mulch: This is a great way of providing food to your plants along with having reduction in use of water, suppressing weeds, not to allow drying of the soil and keeping it warm.
- Use of Urine: Yes, it may seem to be weird but scientific research has shown that it can be an effective way of fertilizing the soil of your vegetable garden. It is seen that tomatoes grown in soil where urine is used as fertilizers outperform those where it is not used. You need to mix 9 parts of water with 1 part of urine and put that mixture into your garden soil.
- Knowledge About numbers: You may be thinking what relationship do numbers have with fertilizers. Yes, if you are a regular gardener then you must be aware about what number that we are talking about. We are talking about the numbers that are printed in the fertilizer bags. There are three number printed in the format 5-10-5. The first number shows the percentage of nitrogen, the second number the percentage of phosphate and the third the percentage of potash. It is good to know the soil composition before you select the soil fertilizer based on such numbers for your garden soil.
- Organic Fertilizers: Organic fertilizers are of various natures like animal manure, green manure, the blood meal, fish emulsion, cottonseed meal, dust of granite and rock phosphate. You can have various advantages using such fertilizers. You can use such fertilizer to provide slow but sufficient food to the plants, help to fight diseases of various types, and have an inexpensive means of fertilization. You can have such organic fertilizers commercially which has the number indication as 5-5-5.
- Chemical Fertilizers That Can Be Used: These fertilizers are synthetically prepared and can be rich source of sodium nitrate, potassium chloride and superphosphate. They are available in various forms which make it easier to use. They are less expensive than organic versions and quickly add fertilizers to the soil.
- Selecting the Right Fertilizers: There are fertilizers of various natures. You must select the right fertilizer for your garden soil. It is best to use complete fertilizer with labels like 10-20-10 or 12-24-12. You should not use lawn fertilizers for garden soil. If you see that your soil pH level is below 5.7 then you must add lime to your soil for having effective plant growth. The added lime will provide calcium to the soil which in turn makes it less acidic and helps to raise the pH level of the soil.
- Proper Way to Apply Fertilizers: There are ways which you must follow to apply the fertilizers. Following the proper way will ensure that fertilizers reach every part of the soil and to every plant that is planted. You can spread the fertilizers over the soil before you plant the plants, if you use transplants then you can use the starter method, side dressing method should be used when plants have grown to a certain height and you should ensure that fertilization is done during spring and fall to have effective plant growth.
So, now you know the considerations that you must have in mind when fertilizing your garden soil. Use these efficiently so that you can get a healthy harvest in your garden.
Author Bio: Thomas M. Strother is the blogger at spreaders.com which specialize in making spreaders and dump trucks from last 24 years. They provide quality products in agricultural areas like lime and fertilizer spreader, construction and other needs from tailgate salt spreader to litter spreader. They make sure that customer requirements are fulfilled.