GATE stands for The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. GATE is a national level test conducted across eight states of the country. Here is the best GATE preparation tips for you. This exam is conducted for the short listing of the most deserving candidates aspiring for PG degree in the field of Engineering, Architecture, Technology in any of the 7 IITs (Bombay, Kharagpur, Delhi, Kanpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) ,IISc Bangalore, NITs and other reputed Universities/colleges.
Nowadays GATE score is not only considered for admission to the master’s or PhD degree’s but also several Indian public sector units (PSU’S) are undertaking the score of GATE for the recruitment of graduate engineers in entry-level positions. GATE exam is conducted online and the paper is based on the objective type questions. The objective questions can either be multiple choice or numerical answer type. There are three primary sections in the GATE question paper -Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude and Core Engineering topics. The GATE syllabus covers 70% marks of the question paper and rest 15% and 15% marks are covered by Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude respectively. GATE 2017 is scheduled to be held on February 4 to 12, 2017.
Candidates must follow the proper preparation tips and guidelines in order to crack the exam with a good score. Candidate is required to follow a proper study strategy, expert guidance and good study material for effective results.
GATE Preparation Tips
In order to crack the exam and score among the toppers, the aspirant has to give his/ her best. Apart from the normal preparation the candidate is required to have hold of all the valuable and smart tricks which would give them an edge over other candidates. Here are some effective GATE preparation tips for 2017 Exam.
- Clear the basic concepts: The clear concepts are the key to crack the GATE exams. Rather than going for solving numerical questions straightaway, candidate should focus more on the clear concepts. Candidates should not switch to the shortcuts and the formulae. In case any concept is not clear, candidate should consult different sources till that concept is clear
- Cover all the topics: Since it’s not easy to predict which topic will cover more questions in the GATE paper, candidates are suggested to cover all the topics in the syllabus.
- Make notes: According to most of the GATE toppers making notes is found quite useful .The notes help the candidate in sorting the important formulae and concepts. The clarity and concentration in study increases. Besides all this the notes are useful for quick and crisp revision before the test as it’s hectic and inconvenient to revise the vast syllabus from the books.
- Manage time: If a candidate has studied seriously during his /her B.Tech course then a serious and dedicated preparation of 2 month is quiet sufficient for the preparation of GATE exam, but in case the basic concepts are not clear to the candidate then a candidate needs to devote at least 6 months of complete study cracking the GATE exam. A candidate needs to put in at least 5-6 hours for the study every day. Timely revision is quite necessary.
- Consult the best study material: Candidate can use the Video lectures, text books and other sources to build up the basic concepts. Since no particular book covers all the topics of a particular subject, it is quite important to go consult some more books. Candidate can choose just standard book as the main book for study and for the topics which are not covered in that book should be looked in the other recommended books.
- Self study: Candidate has to do the self study in any case. Even if the candidate is taking any coaching classes to speed up the preparation process, he/ she should only take the guidance help from the coaching centres and not follow them blindly.
- Solve the previous year’s question papers and Sample papers: Candidates are suggested to solve previous years question papers / sample papers/ mock test series/ of GATE in the last two preparation months. This will give a fair and a genuine idea to the candidate regarding the question pattern and all important concepts that are asked in the GATE examination.
The Sample Papers of GATE 2017 can be downloaded for the purpose of practice from the following link:
Important Guidelines to follow during preparation:
Following are some of the things that a candidate should highly avoid while preparing for GATE
- Do not stress yourself un-necessarily during the time of preparation.
- Do not indulge in any type of over-confidence or over-competitive attitude.
- Do not study any extra subjects.
- Study in a proper and scheduled manner.
- Revise frequently the important formulae needed for GATE questions.
- Do not forget about your health.