So, another year for Raksha Bandhan celebration has arrived and you are all geared up for a grand celebration of it. Brothers and sisters have been the best friends since their childhood and no one can alter their relationship. A sister’s love for her brother is well expressed when she gets the designer rakhi for brother.
So, on this holy occasion of raksha bandhan or rakhi, let’s delve into history and mythology a bit. We would discuss some of the tales picked out of mythology and history which revolves around a brother and sister relationship.
- Krishna & Draupadi: In people’s mind, the story of Lord Krishna and Draupadi is perhaps the most popular one. Draupadi is that famous character from The Mahabharata and she was the wife of the Pandavas. The story is that once Krishna hurt his finger while handling a sugarcane and his finger started to bleed. His wife Rukmini sent someone to get a bandage cloth while Satyabhama, another friend went to find a cloth. Draupadi just tore a part of her saree and bandaged him. For this deed, Krishna promised to protect her lifelong and he did that.
- Rani Karnavati and Badshah Humayun: Rani Karnavati was the queen of Mewar and when Bahadur Shah of Gujarat attacked Mewar, she sent a rakhi to Humayun, the Mughal Emperor and seeked for help. He couldn’t deny this thing and that’s how we see raksha bandhan as a festival when the brother always takes a vow to protect his sister. So, get the best designer rakhi for your brother.
- Roxana and King Porus: A legendary story lies in our mythology that has some foreign taste in it. Alexander, the great assaulted India in 326 B.C. and one of his opponents in battlefield was Porus. Mrs. Alexander, i.e., Roxana sent a holy thread through Porus and requested him not to harm her husband in the war field. So, following this request he didn’t defeat Alexander and later on became a confidante of Alexander.
- Jai Maa Santoshi: There is an immensely popular Bollywood movie of the same name and if legends are to be believed then, the birth of Maa Santoshi was due to this festival called Raksha Bandhan. It was said that on this holy day Goddess Manasa went to Lord Ganesha to tie rakhi on his wrist and seeing this Ganesha’s sons – Shubh and Labha started demanding for a sister. To please his sons, Ganesha created Santoshi out of divine flames.
- Yama & Yamuna: We all know that Yama is the God of death who looks really dangerous. Yamuna tied a rakhi on the wrist of Yama just like you tie a designer rakhis from online on your brother’s wrist. In return of that Yama blessed Yamuna of immortality.
Author: Varun Singh