If you’re over still on the verge of whether or not trying out the sport or looking for different workouts to squeeze in your program, listed here are the 10 swimming benefit that will surely make you consider to go for a swim.
1. Flexibility. Unlike in running or jogging wherein you’re not able to fully extend and stretch your joints and muscles (not until cool down or stretching), swimming serves as a great platform to improve and keep you supple.
Swimming benefits, in more ways than one, increases your range of motion all the while improving your physical condition. All this good effects without putting stress on your joints.
2. Great aerobic exercise. Swimming is unarguably one of the most fun activities. Whenever you’re in the pool or at the beach, you tend to spend the most time in the water as it is an exciting activity.
The sport is a good total body workout that is low impact and deals from your head to toe. It shapes your back, tones your arms, improves your muscles and works both your upper and lower body hence — a whole body workout. Practice the different types of swimming strokes and notice how it utilizes your entire body.
3. Improves your mental health. Water-based exercises can do wonders for your mental health condition. Swimming is a fun exercise to improve moods of men and women alike of all ages especially when in warm water. The exercises performed in water decreases anxiety and depression.
4. Relieves painful joints. If you have an arthritis, recovering from an injury or the likes, making a splash in the pool can be one of the best ways to relieve these joints and exercise them for a fast recovery.
Since the water supports your entire body, it takes the stress off from those painful joints and makes you move around easily. Also, it strengthens your spine and relieves any back pains. Thanks for the lack of gravity in the water, you’re able to move around with less physical stress. So if you’re a runner, swimming is a great workout for your cross-training routine. Take your body off rest from the pavement and hit the water to relax all the while working out.
5. Decreases asthma morbidity. Swimming is ultimately great for your lungs! Since swimming requires an efficient breathing technique, it trains you to improve your overall breathing and lung capacity.
In addition, since water is much dense that air, your body and lungs is forced to work twice as hard to deliver oxygen to your bloodstream. By doing so, your lungs are given a good exercise which results to decreasing asthma symptoms.
6. Improves blood sugar control. For those with diabetes, swimming is actually one of the best exercises that is suitable for you since it allows your body to take a better control over your sugar level. Since swimming helps in muscle lengthening, straightening and keeps you supple, it allows your body to absorb fully the nutrients and oxygen into your muscles.
7. Perfect for anyone. It is great for those recovering from an injury, people with back pains and other joint problems, those with diabetes and the works.
Not to mention, swimming is also friendly for pregnant women since it’s a low impact exercise. It is also good for the elderly, those who are overweight and others with health issues.
8. Good cool-down exercise. Since swimming is non-weight bearing and it lets you move easily on water without any physical pressure, it’s a good medium for people taking a break from running or other high impact exercises.
9. It’s revitalizing. Dipping your entire body underwater lessens the incoming sensory information which then urges your brain to produce a sense of calmness and relaxation. Swimming decreases your stress levels, anxiety, depression and provides you a refreshing feel after soaking in the pool.
You don’t have to be a professional swimmer to enjoy the swimming benefit has to offer, all you need are: a high quality pair of goggles, a swimwear that fits you like a glove, a swimming cap, nose clip, ear plugs (if needed). Then, you’re ready and dress appropriately to hit the pool.
Got any more to add in this list? Don’t forget to leave a comment below!
About Chie Suarez
When she’s not eating out, she’s probably writing for SWIMSHOP UK — the Europe’s premier swim specialist. They are both recognised nationally and internationally for providing the essentials for every swimmers of all levels.