Looking at the publishing industry and authorship, the trend has shifted from printed out books to e-books. E-books get reviewed too on the internet.
There are a few things to note about ebooks;
- E-books are written books that are read on computers or other specialized devices. They do not utilize the conventional method of printing the book content on paper.
- The full name is ‘electronic book’ but it has been shortened to e-book. E-books are one of the most reviewed items on the internet.
- Many buyers of a book write short reviews about the experience they had with the book. These reviews can be
positive, or when readers are disappointed, a negative review can surface.
- E-book product reviews are best written by those who read a certain book or if it is an instructional book, those who attempt to follow the procedures described in the book.
To write an e-book review, one needs to purchase the e-book or get it from a website if it is free. They then have to read the book, preferably the entire book. It would be unfair to the writer of a book or the seller to write a review based on half the book or worse, the first few pages. Not unless a book is very satisfying, only then can you write a review based on an incomplete read. This does not mean that one has to read through a boring book to write a review, one is allowed to put the book down and write that the bit they read was not interesting enough to make them want to read the rest of the book.How easy is it?
Writing an e-book review should not be hard for most people since it does not require much. A typical review is short, describing only the experience a reader had and how much they enjoyed or disliked the book. Reasons can be given for the reviewer’s opinion but they are kept short and concise.
Recipe books and instructional manuals
Reviews for instructional E-books such as manuals and Do it yourself guides also follows the same layout. Recipe books also fall in this category. The reviewer needs to try following the instructions in the book as accurately as they can. This will allow them to write a truthful review that is based on fact. Even when some things do not work as promised in a book, A reviewer may have to consider the possibility that they erred somewhere in following the instructions.
Who is best to write an e-book review? The most suited person is an independent reader, not the author.
There are reasons for this such as;
- If the author writes the review, it will be seen as a marketing gimmick and the review will not carry any weight.
- The author and affiliates may not write objective reviews due to their prejudice and interests in seeing the book sell.
An independent reviewer has more credibility that the author
It is thus important that the reviewer be a trusted person or establishment. The reviews are important in boosting sales and in influencing the way people generally feel about the book.